Section 4: Monthly Financial Support
Sponsors must provide sponsored newcomers money each month to cover the cost of:
• Housing (rent and utilities)
• Basic needs (food, personal care)
• Transportation (1 transit pass/person)
• Communication (cell phone, internet)

You must determine what the appropriate monthly amount will be for your sponsorship. All sponsors must provide, at minimum, the equivalent of Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) rates, as shown in the table below. Sponsored newcomers will receive their funds directly from AURA or the Church.

The Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) is the government program that provides support to government-sponsored refugees. These RAP rates represent the minimum standard for all private sponsorships. If newcomers do not receive at least the RAP rate amount each monthly, their sponsors are in breach of their contractual agreement.

In most circumstances it would be impossible for a newcomer/family to live on these monthly amounts, and sponsors will need to provide more to ensure a reasonable standard of living. RAP rates are only enough in very particular situations, such as newcomers who have some of their own savings, have no or low rent to pay, or who are earning employment income.

RAP rates do not increase much with the number of children, because families with children under 18 also receive the monthly Canada Child Benefit (CCB) directly from the government – approximately $500 per child per month.

Family composition is important when calculating minimum monthly financial support:
• IRCC considers anyone over 18 years of age to be an adult and therefore a separate family unit.
• Adult children must receive their own money every month for basic needs, transportation, and communication even if they are dependents residing with the rest of the family.
• Rates for seniors are significantly higher.

RAP provides allowances for newborns, maternity food, clothing, and special dietary needs. If these are relevant to your sponsorship, you must provide, at minimum, the same amounts.

The only monthly financial support that can be provided fully in-kind is Shelter. If sponsors are providing housing for free to newcomers, they do not need to provide the Shelter amount.

Additional Information:
Complete info on RAP Rates:

The Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP) RAP rate calculator:



Sponsor Toolbox

Get Involved