Refugee Case Types
Named or Sponsor-Referred
A Named case is when a group submits a case of a refugee whom they already know and believe would qualify for sponsorship to the Canadian government. The applicants must qualify as a refugee under the same international and Canadian laws as refugees referred to IRCC by the UNHCR. These refugees must also attend an interview with a Canadian Visa Officer, which is arranged by the Visa Post responsible for processing applications.

Blended Visa Office Referred (BVOR)
BVOR cases are cases that also receive special benefits from IRCC. These cases will be brought to the attention of the Canadian Visa Officers by the UNHCR and cannot be referred by sponsors. The case which will be referred to this program will generally align with previous IRCC commitments and UNHCR top populations of concern. Profiles for these cases are made available for SAHs on IRCC’s secure website; the information given is usually basic and does not give many details on the basis for the claim. IRCC will provide these cases with six months of Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) income support but not orientation, start-up costs or temporary housing, the sponsors are responsible for providing the last 6 months income support, start-up costs, orientation and all settlement support similar to that given to Named cases.

Joint Assistance Sponsorships (JAS)
JAS cases are joint undertakings by the sponsoring group and IRCC to sponsor refugees requiring special assistance to meet their needs and whose admissibility depends upon the additional support of a sponsor. Refugees sponsored under the JAS program are identified as having special needs that will likely result in a longer or more difficult period of integration. These special needs are listed in IP4, section 1 as physical or mental disabilities which could require treatment in Canada. Examples of these special needs are unusual family configuration such as single-parent families with several young children or families consisting only of siblings, one or more of whom has assumed parental responsibilities; separated minors; elderly persons; or other special needs identified by the visa office under the JAS program.

JAS cases can only be sponsored by SAHs but usually involves CGs that are designated by the SAH to do the day-to-day settlement work. The government provides RAP; which includes orientation, temporary housing, start-up costs and income support, to the refugee while sponsoring groups provide community and emotional support and orientation and ensures access to appropriate services. Generally a JAS case is sponsored for two years from arrival instead of one.



Sponsor Toolbox

Get Involved